Guarding the children
Being retired I was at home watching TV throughout the morning of the Newtown school shootings. I was struck by the number of law enforcement personnel quickly on-site, each armed with at least a couple of weapons and wearing body armor. They seemed to arrive at the scene shortly after the shooting. If only one of the perhaps 100 police officers had been at the front door instead of doing whatever it was they were doing at the time, the tragedy would not have occurred.
NewsOK Related Articles
The news reports went on and on about how there was so little crime in the area, but there seemed to be plenty of law enforcement available for spending a few hours at an elementary school. It would have taken only one officer, even a retired one, standing at a front door for a few hours a day to prevent many of these tragedies. The cowardly killers just move on in the face of any real opposition. As a society we spend millions to guard our money but little in comparison to guard our children. Would the anti-gun people keep their money in banks with no armed guards, only defenseless tellers to protect their money?
Paul Engel, Edmond
Readers wishing to respond to a letter to the editor can submit a response.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 69024Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 31222Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 29103Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 19272Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 6654Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6511Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 5366Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond