Gun laws ignored in gun violence
The knee-jerk reaction by the Obama administration to the massacre in Sandy Hook, Conn., is no surprise given its mantra of “No crisis should go to waste.” When you consider the hundreds, if not thousands, of Mexican families and one border patrol agent's family who've faced the same ordeal as a direct result of Eric Holder's illegal gun-running operation into the hands of the Mexican drug cartels, you see the monumental hypocrisy of this administration.
NewsOK Related Articles
Our country is awash in gun laws that were ignored in every instance of “gun violence” by the perpetrator, including Holder, the chief law enforcement agent in this country. Laws don't prevent tragedy at the hands of deranged individuals, but adding more of them gives the appearance that we're doing something about the problem. In the overwhelming majority of tragedies of this nature, people were around the perpetrator who knew of a problem that should be addressed with professional help. The Fort Hood massacre is one good example where no law did or could have made a difference; however, intervention by professionals could have.
I fully expect more feel-good legislation from liberals concerning guns, but I won't be holding my breath until it changes the behavior of those who ignore them anyway, Eric Holder included!
John Turnbull, Wellston
Readers wishing to respond to a letter to the editor can submit a response.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 79546Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 30543Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 28179Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 26729Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7711Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 7142Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 7088Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond