OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Officials in a northeast Oklahoma district where a student was arrested last week for allegedly plotting an attack at the high school canceled classes Wednesday after someone reported seeing an armed man near the school.
Superintendent Gary Quinn said Bartlesville public schools will reopen after the holiday break. Officials said a resident reported seeing two men, one of whom had a gun, near the school on Tuesday.
“Not knowing what these individuals were doing and not being able to locate them yet … we made the decision that it would be in the best interest of our students not to have school today,” Quinn said.
Bartlesville police Capt. Jay Hastings said it's possible the two men were hunting in a wooded area with a pond behind the school, although he noted hunting within the city limits is illegal.
“Until we locate these two subjects and find out exactly what they were doing, we take it seriously,” Hastings said.
“It may not have been anything to do with the school, but unfortunately they parked on school property,” he added.
The school closures come just days after 18-year-old Bartlesville High School student Sammie Chavez was charged with plotting to shoot classmates and detonate bombs at the school. Chavez, who was arrested the same day as last week's deadly Connecticut school shooting, remains jailed on $1 million bond.
Continue reading this story on the...