GUTHRIE — The dedication of a bust honoring Joseph Foucart, known as the father of Guthrie’s skyline, will be April 18 as part of the ’89er Days celebration.
The event will begin at 4 p.m. at the Carnegie Library and Oklahoma Territorial Museum, 406 E Oklahoma. There will be a short ceremony honoring the contributions of Foucart. A tour of the latest exhibit at the museum will follow the unveiling. Light refreshments will be served.
Foucart’s talents are reflected in many significant structures in Guthrie. The Gray Brothers Building, still standing at Division and Oklahoma, served as the Bank of the Indian Territory. The McKennon Opera House served as the first territorial house and senate meeting location and the home of Oklahoma’s first daily newspaper, The Oklahoma Daily State Capital. The E.T. Patton building, at Division and Harrison, has been razed but was the site of offices for the territorial governor, territorial marshal and other territorial officials.
Born in Arlon, Belgium, with lineage tracing to a prominent French family, Foucart was one of five children and the only one of the family to emigrate to this country. Foucart studied engineering and architecture and worked in the railroad and mining fields early in his career before focusing on his successful architectural career and supervising the construction of castles, hotels and civic buildings throughout central Europe and in Paris. He came to Guthrie within a few months of the Land Run of 1889.