Handwritten notes assert Oklahoma lobbyist was behind a plan to bribe former Sen. Mike Morgan
Former Senate President Pro Tem Mike Morgan is accused of taking more than $400,000 in bribes from three companies in exchange for his influence at the Capitol. On trial with him are longtime lobbyist Andrew Skeith and prominent attorney Martin Stringer.
Photoview all 7 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Morgan also is accused of taking $250,000 in bribes from a power plant company and $12,000 in bribes from an Edmond assisted-living business. Jurors are to hear testimony about those payments later. Morgan, who is an attorney, contends he was paid for legitimate legal services.
Morgan, 57, of Stillwater, Stringer, 71, of Oklahoma City, and Skeith, 53, of Edmond, were indicted in March. All three have pleaded not guilty.
Morgan, a Democrat, was Senate president pro tem or co-president pro tem from March 2005 until November 2008, according to the indictment.
Walker testified Thursday about his notes for almost three hours even though he said he could not recall his conversations with Skeith.
He specifically said he does not know if notes such as “Morgan — retainer” and “50K,” which is short for $50,000, came from what Skeith told him.
Walker told the jury he was not a part of any plan to bribe Morgan and wouldn't have participated in one. “I had no knowledge of any improper action,” Walker testified.
The judge excused the jury at 12:13 p.m. Thursday so one juror could deal with a problem. Testimony is set to resume at 9 a.m. Friday. The trial is expected to last two to three more weeks.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 62337Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 33106Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 31955Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 14420Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 8241Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6093Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4001Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman