Woman accused of starving horse to death
A Harrah woman was charged with two counts of animal cruelty after a starving horse and a dead horse were found on her property in eastern Oklahoma County.
A Harrah woman with a criminal past is accused of starving one horse to death and nearly starving a second one, court papers show.
Billie Deann Vandergriff, 49, was charged Tuesday in Oklahoma County District Court with two counts of felony animal cruelty, records show.
A deputy sheriff checking on a neglected horse Dec. 10 in the 8500 block of N Dobbs Road said the horse appeared to be malnourished with “relatively clean water” but no feed, according to a probable cause affidavit.
“The horse appeared to be very feeble, extremely underweight, skeletal bones visible through the skin,” the deputy wrote in a probable cause affidavit.
The deputy said he observed a burial site in the front yard of the residence where another horse recently had been buried. The horse died in a stall lying in a pile of its own feces, the affidavit shows.
Vandergriff could not produce any receipts for feed or hay, despite claiming she purchased the items at a local feed store, the deputy reported.
Employees of the store did not recognize the woman as a customer when the deputy showed them a photo of her, the affidavit states.
Vandergriff said she had never had either of the horses treated by a veterinarian, the deputy reported.
She has prior convictions in Oklahoma County for assault and battery upon a police officer, malicious injury and destruction, and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, court records show.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 12287Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11384Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6956Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 6508Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4900Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4357OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3734Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law