Harrison sharp in 2nd outing, Texas blanks D-backs
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) — Even though it was just spring training, Matt Harrison wanted to rebound from a rough opener.
Consider it mission accomplished.
The Texas left-hander, an 18-game winner last season, allowed three hits in three scoreless innings and the Rangers went on to beat the Arizona Diamondbacks 7-1 on Saturday.
"Anytime you have a bad game you want to bounce back as quickly as possible and I was able to do it in my next start," Harrison said, "so that was a positive note and something I can build on going into my next start."
In his first spring start last Sunday against Kansas City, Harrison threw 40 pitches in one inning, allowing four runs on six hits against Kansas City.
"Come out and start off your first game like that is a little concerning but I know I can be better than that," he said. "You know, there were a couple things I needed to fix and got it back on track. I was able to stay close a lot better today and stay on top of the ball. The other day I was getting around and wasn't consistent with my mechanics."
Manager Ron Washington said it was just a normal spring training progression for a pitcher.
"Today he had his sinker working," Washington said. "The first outing he didn't really have his sinker. He had a good changeup today also, and those are the bread and butter pitches. We know he can spot the fastball but he didn't have his sinker and he didn't have his changeup. Today he had both of them."
Lefty Wade Miley made his first spring start for Arizona, giving up three runs on three hits in two innings, including a solo home run by Craig Gentry. Brandon Allen and Elvis Andrus also homered for Texas. In addition to his homer, Gentry stole two bases and scored three times.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101883Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 13737Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10731Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 9553OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 8470Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 7788How to help tornado victims
- 7217Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area