Haslem closing in on Heat rebound record
MIAMI (AP) — Udonis Haslem is on the cusp of Heat history.
He enters Wednesday night's game against Milwaukee two rebounds away from passing Alonzo Mourning for Miami's all-time lead in that department.
Mourning grabbed 4,807 rebounds in 593 regular-season games with the Heat. Haslem is at 4,806 rebounds after 605 games.
Haslem has come a long way.
When he was trying to make the Miami Heat take notice of him a decade ago, assistant coach Keith Askins gave him one piece of unforgettable advice.
Askins told Haslem that everyone in the NBA can score, but not everyone rebounds.
Haslem took the hint and decided to make rebounding — a chore he didn't always embrace in college — a priority.
He made the team. And now, here he is 10 years later.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister