Head of Oklahoma regatta: OKC RIVERSPORT tops medal count
Local teams dominate on the Oklahoma River. Following RIVERSPORT was Oklahoma City University and OKC National High Performance Center.
Oklahoma City area rowing teams were the biggest winners at the Head of the Oklahoma regatta, which concluded Sunday on the Oklahoma River.
OKC RIVERSPORT captured 37 medals (seven gold, 16 silver and 14 bronze). Oklahoma City University was second with 24 (six gold, 10 silver and 8 bronze).
Videoview all videos
Sep 30A record turnout for the 2012 Oklahoma Regatta Festival,...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Finishing third was the OKC National High Performance Center with 22 (10 gold, 9 silvers and 3 bronze).
FOR YOUNG AND OLD
The oldest participant in the Head of the Oklahoma was Lee Smith, 78, from Fort Worth, Texas, who raced in three events and rowed 15 miles in two days.
Smith is a member of the Fort Worth Rowing Club.
Linda Barry, 63, from OKC RIVERSPORT, was the oldest female participant. She also raced in three events and rowed 15 miles during the regatta.
TEXAS WELL-REPRESENTED AT REGATTA
The state of Texas had 274 entries in the Head of the Oklahoma regatta followed by Oklahoma with 258.
Next on the list was Kansas with 101, Colorado with 29 and Manitoba, Canada, with 25.
Esther Lofgren met President Barack Obama at the White House last month with the rest of the gold-medal winning United States women's eight crew.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments