Share “Health officials warn about flesh-eating...”

Health officials warn about flesh-eating bacteria in the Gulf of Mexico Published: July 8, 2013

A Terrebonne Parish man died and three others became ill from infections contracted while swimming off the Louisiana Gulf Coast this summer, reports The Town Talk.

In all four cases, the individuals’ wounds were infected by Vibria vulnificus, a naturally occurring bacteria found in warm seawater. It is sometimes called flesh-eating bacteria.

The cases have prompted the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals to warn swimmers over the holiday week — and throughout the hot weather — to be careful about swimming with open wounds or infections and in certain areas.

See this story on