Share “NBA Finals: Heat rallies past OKC Thunder,...”

NBA Finals: Heat rallies past OKC Thunder, takes 2-1 lead in series

by Darnell Mayberry Published: June 17, 2012

— In the end, three plays by three players in the final 35 seconds cost the Oklahoma City Thunder a shot at victory in Game 3.

Each grew worse than the previous one, but all three permitted precious seconds to trickle off the game clock and provide the Miami Heat ample opportunities to seal a comeback 91-85 win on Sunday night inside American Airlines Arena.

“We gave ourselves a chance to win,” said Thunder coach Scott Brooks. “That's what you want to do on the road. The game was basically anybody's ballgame that fourth quarter. … I really believe that a small play here or there really could have helped us.”

The three that sealed the Thunder's fate stood out like a black eye — which is exactly what they'll be should Oklahoma City fail to find a way to climb out of the 2-1 deficit it now faces.

Those plays characterized the Thunder's collapse in the final 16 1/2 minutes, a span that saw OKC blow a 10-point lead by scoring just 21 points on 7-for-25 shooting while turning it over six times.

The decisive string started with Russell Westbrook when the Thunder trailed 88-85 with 47 seconds remaining.

After LeBron James missed a 15-foot fadeaway, Westbrook corralled the rebound and raced the other way. He started on the right wing before using a Kendrick Perkins screen to squirt to the left side of the court. When the Heat cut off Westbrook's driving lane, he passed to Kevin Durant. But Durant immediately fired the ball back to Westbrook, who had floated to the left corner. Westbrook went up for a potential game-tying 3 but had to pass to Thabo Sefolosha while in the air after Mario Chalmers closed out with a textbook contest.

Sefolosha shoveled a pass right back to Westbrook on the left wing, and when Chalmers got shielded off by Sefolosha, it left Westbrook all alone for 3-point look.

Westbrook took one dribble in, aimed and fired.He hit back rim and had his shot bounce off with 31 seconds left. Heat forward Shane Battier rebounded the miss to close out the Thunder's first costly play.

“We were trying to attack quickly in transition,” Brooks said. “If we had something, try to score quickly and it was a scramble play. It was a broken play. He had a wide-open 3. Russell made some big shots for us all year. I had no problem with that shot.”

Continue reading this story on the...

by Darnell Mayberry
OKC Thunder Senior Reporter
Darnell Mayberry grew up in Langston, Okla. and is now in his third stint in the Sooner state. After a year and a half at Bishop McGuinness High, he finished his prep years in Falls Church, Va., before graduating from Norfolk State University in...
+ show more


  1. 1
    Police find dead body in porta-potty outside Cincinnati Bengals' Paul Brown Stadium
  2. 2
    Several Deer Creek schools on lockdown due to report of suspicious person
  3. 3
    Tulsa mother gets three life sentences, father 25 years in 'horrific' child abuse case
  4. 4
    Man who calls police to say he's 'too high,' found in pile of Doritos
  5. 5
    Frank Zappa's Widow Gail Zappa Dead at 70
+ show more


× Trending thunder Article