Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel will predictably be unpredictable
All the spoils that go with winning the Heisman might not sidetrack Manziel like it has so many others before him.
Videoview all videos
Dec 30Aggies freshman quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner...
Dec 30Johnny Manziel and the Aggies met the media on Sunday....
Photoview all 17 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“I didn't do anything wrong,” Manziel said. “I did the same thing I've always done for years. I've been going to football games, been going to basketball games.
“Now ... people care. People didn't notice me before. Now, they seem me there and act like this is the first time I've done this. But in reality, I've been doing it for a while.”
Manziel has been trying to take it all of this in stride, but he admits that everything that's happened has been a bit hard to comprehend.
“It's different for me to know things won't ever be the same,” he said. “I can say that, ‘Oh, it's gonna be normal. It's gonna be how it used to be,' but it's not.”
But for all that's changed for Manziel off the field, little has changed on it.
For starters, he has missed only one practice because of Heisman-related craziness. He has been in the meetings. He has watched the film. He has taken the reps.
That will help him avoid a post-Heisman swoon.
So will his style.
His game is not predicated on being in rhythm. He is such a non-traditional, dual-threat quarterback that he doesn't have to settle into a grove to be effective. He can take off, make a move, juke a defender and totally change the complexion of a game.
His excellence is based in his unpredictability.
Who knows, Manziel might actually thrive amid all this Heisman madness.
The Beard, the King and the Jonas Brothers won't help him beat the Sooners, but they won't hurt him either.
Jenni Carlson: Jenni can be reached at (405) 475-4125. Like her at facebook.com/JenniCarlsonOK, follow her at twitter.com/jennicarlson_ok or view her personality page at newsok.com/jennicarlson.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 35920Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15377Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9806Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9680Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7926Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7748Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister