Dinner: The Most Rev. Paul Coakley, archbishop of Oklahoma City, and Cheryl and Steve Browne were honorary hosts at a dinner in the Browne home. Members of The Catholic Foundation of Oklahoma were hosts. Five bishops lived in the Browne home from 1930 to 1984.
Guests: 40 guests enjoyed dinner and paired wines by master chef Kyle Anderson and sommelier Stan Stack. They also appreciated the history of the house. Several bishop’s crests and carvings are still on the stairway banisters and mailbox, as well as the priest’s names are listed in the basement. Seminarians, in Oklahoma City for the summer, attended the event. Among those at the party were Lil and Bill Ross, Sue Ryan, Kathy and Chris Wilson, Gayle and Barney Semtner, Betsy and Hugh O’Hara, Jaimee and Chuck Zorio, Patty and Mark Ruffin, Toby and Rick Boothe, Jean and Bill Smith and Anne and Manny Sanchez.
Flowers: Hydrangea and rose bouquets decorated the six tables, which were set up in the Great Hall of the House. Hors d’oeuvres were served in the dining room.
Special touch: Cheryl Browne visited with the dinner guests and answered questions about the house. Two priests who had lived there talked about their memories. Barney Semtner, executive director of the Catholic Foundation of Oklahoma, made introductions.
A little history: The home was purchased by Most Rev. Francis Clement Kelley, bishop of the Diocese of Oklahoma, in 1930, with the help of oilman Frank Phillips. In 1905, the newly ordained Father Kelley organized the Catholic Church Extension Society, now recognized as Catholic Extension, to raise money that would help bring the Catholic Church to certain dioceses.