EDMOND — Henderson Hills Baptist Church will celebrate its 50th anniversary during worship services May 17 and 18 at 1200 E Interstate 35.
Also planned on May 18 is an anniversary block party featuring live music, food trucks and other activities.
Henderson Hills’ story began in 1959 when Mr. and Mrs. C.A. Henderson donated four acres of land in the new Henderson Hills addition to First Baptist Church of Edmond. On May 3, 1964, 134 people gathered for the first Henderson Hills Baptist Church service.
The church quickly outgrew the space. In 1966, a new wing was added, and in 1974, a new worship center was built, lovingly remembered by members for its bright green shag carpet. Ten years later, a neighboring Assemblies of God church was purchased to provide more space.
In 1992, the Rev. Dennis Newkirk was called as the church’s senior pastor, and in 1994, church members marched across the parking lot to occupy a new and even bigger worship center. Average Sunday attendance at that time was 1,514. Rapid church growth and a lack of parking gave way to buses shuttling attendees back and forth from the Mardel store parking lot four blocks away. The church offices had to be relocated to the south end of the shopping center at Boulevard and 33rd Street.
In 1998, the church purchased 129 acres of land at Interstate 35 and 15th Street and held its first worship service in a new church building on the property on April 25, 2004. The property on Boulevard was sold to New Covenant United Methodist Church.
Henderson Hills now has a membership of more than 8,000 people, making it the largest Southern Baptist church in the state, officials said.
Henderson Hills Baptist Church
•What: 50th anniversary services and block party.
•When: Worship at 5:30 p.m. May 17 and 9 and 10:45 a.m. May 18; block party, 6 to 8 p.m. May 18.
•Where: 1200 E Interstate 35, Edmond.
•Information: 341-4639 or www.hhbc.com.