Hezbollah chief: EU yielded to US, Israeli will

Published on NewsOK Modified: July 24, 2013 at 2:20 pm •  Published: July 24, 2013

BEIRUT (AP) — The leader of Lebanon's Hezbollah on Wednesday ridiculed a European Union decision to place the group's military wing on a terror list, accusing the body of capitulating to U.S. and Israeli pressures by blacklisting it.

Sheik Hassan Nasrallah said the decision is "worthless" and makes EU countries partners in any future Israeli aggression against Lebanon or his militant group.

The EU's 28 foreign ministers made the announcement Monday after prolonged diplomatic pressure from the U.S. and Israel, both which consider Hezbollah a terrorist organization.

"I did not feel for one moment that this was a sovereign European decision, but rather one that was dictated to them," Nasrallah said, speaking to supporters in Beirut via satellite link. "Europe was not convinced, but has capitulated ... to American and Israeli wishes."

Nasrallah has been in hiding since the 2006 monthlong war between Hezbollah and Israel. He has since made very few, and only brief, public appearances.

Some European countries had pushed for the EU action by citing a terrorist attack in Bulgaria's Black Sea resort of Burgas last year that killed five Israeli tourists and a Bulgarian. Hezbollah's military wing was accused of involvement, an allegation it denied. In March, a criminal court in Cyprus found a Hezbollah member guilty of helping to plan attacks on Israelis on the Mediterranean island.

Continue reading this story on the...