Hickson 'meant no harm' with Valentine's tweets
He posted about strippers: "I know society (give) y'all a bad reputation. It's good tho I don't judge. I definitely respect y'all hustle."
Hickson has more than 17,000 Twitter followers, and he's been a popular player in trade rumors, too, as the deadline approaches Thursday.
The Blazers signed Hickson to a one-year deal worth a reported $4 million prior to this season. Because he has Bird rights, he has approval of any trade. He also gives up those rights if he agrees to any deal, which could impact the salary he could command in free agency.
"I'm just here controlling what I can control, playing the game of basketball. Off the court, things will take care of themselves like they always have in the past," he said.
Hickson is in his fifth season in the NBA, with previous stops in Cleveland and Sacramento.
Hickson has certainly raised his stock with his performance this season. He's averaging 12.9 points and 10.4 rebounds per game. He has 28 double-doubles, matching his career high career high. And he's shot 50 percent or better from the floor for the last 17 games, a franchise record.
On Tuesday night he had 25 points and 16 rebounds in Portland's 102-98 loss to the Phoenix Suns.
The Blazers (25-29) are mired in a six-game losing streak but still hoping for a playoff spot. Portland and the Los Angeles Lakers are 3½ games back of Houston for the eighth and final spot in the Western Conference.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 90701Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 17035OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12738Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8924Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8598Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8454How to help tornado victims
- 8359Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located