High school baseball: Dale advances to Class A final at Bricktown Ballpark
Pirates dodge a lot of bullets, still find a way to beat No. 8 Silo in semifinals. Championship game is noon Saturday.
EDMOND — Dale couldn't help but feel fortunate Friday night.
After escaping multiple jams and committing three errors, the top-ranked Pirates still found a way to beat No. 8 Silo 3-2 in the Class A state baseball semifinals at Edmond Memorial.
Photoview all 20 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
And to top it off, Xavier Lanham scored the game's winning run on a wild pitch in the bottom of the sixth.
“That's just how baseball is,” Dale coach Jerry Sanford said. “You've got to sometimes be lucky, and that's what we were today. But sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. Hopefully, we'll build on this and have a little better day tomorrow and see what happens.”
Dale plays the winner of Sterling and Latta at noon Saturday in Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark in hopes of winning its second straight fall championship and ninth overall.
But getting back to the championship game has not been easy this state tournament.
Clinging to a 2-1 lead in the sixth inning with two runners on, Sanford turned to ace pitcher and Ole Miss commit Evan Anderson to work out of the jam.
Anderson, though, hit Casey Love to load the bases before Lucas Long lofted a fly ball to right field that tied the game when Jace Wilkins dropped the ball.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14605Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9594Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8537Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8009Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6980Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6486Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6299Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister