High school basketball: Chauncey Collins' shot lifts OKC Storm over Carl Albert boys
Chauncey Collins was hoping to get to the line.
When he didn't hear a whistle following his fadeaway jumper with less than five seconds left, Collins feared the game might be over.
Photoview all 6 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
But Collins' shot bounced once, then twice on the rim before going in and giving the OKC Storm a 52-51 win over Carl Albert to take the Titan Classic.
“I was just trying to go to the hole and draw a foul,” Collins said. “It wasn't really the best shot, but it went down. I was expecting the whistle, but when it hit the rim for the second time, I knew it was going in.”
The Storm led for all but about two minutes of the game, but Carl Albert took the lead, 51-49, on Jared Price's shot with 47 seconds left.
The Storm's Neavan Morgan got to the line with 15 seconds left with a chance to tie but missed the second free throw. Morgan grabbed his own rebound, though, keeping things alive for Collins' shot after a timeout.
Collins led the Storm with 16 points to earn Most Valuable Player honors. Kole Talbott added 14.
Hayden Howell led Carl Albert with 14 while Cameron Warren had 15 rebounds.
MEMORIAL WINS BRUCE GRAY INVITATIONAL
Mustang pushed Edmond Memorial, but couldn't take down Class 6A's No. 2-ranked team. Aaron Young had 16 points to lead Memorial to a 62-52 win in the championship game of the Bruce Gray Invitational at Deer Creek.
Young was perfect at the free-throw line in six fourth-quarter attempts to help the Bulldogs close the door. Memorial led by 18 with 5:56 to play, but Mustang cut it to 48-43 in the final two minutes.
Tyler Holcomb added 15 points for Memorial. Mustang was led by Garrett Goble with 25 points.
TECUMSEH TAKES JONES TOURNEY
Ever since Tecumseh dropped its final two games earlier this month at the Bethany Tournament, something clicked with the Savages.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14439Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9547Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7937Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7761Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6962Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6428Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6287Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister