High school basketball: Coyle wins last game in 86-year-old gym
Originally built in 1927, the Coyle High School gymnasium hosted its last varsity basketball game Tuesday night, and it went out in style.
The Coyle boys, ranked No. 6 in Class B, defeated No. 7 Mulhall-Orlando 65-42 in the final game played in the 86-year-old gym.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“We invited all the alumni who ever played a game in that gym to come back for a group photo on the court between the boys and girls games,” boys coach Josh Sumrall said. “This gym seats 300 people. We have a new one being built that will seat 1,100. It's about two months away from being finished, so we're really excited about it.”
When the old gym was built in 1927, the court ran north-south, but in 1939, as part of a WPA project, it was rebuilt and the court was turned to run east-west. It remained that way for the next 74 seasons of Coyle basketball.
The old gym will become a practice court and physical education facility for the school after they move into the newly constructed gym.
The school expects the new gym to be ready in time to host graduation in May.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 15993Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 12289Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 11194OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9941Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 9689Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 8745Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 8728Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated