High school basketball: Edmond Memorial girls upset Southmoore
Edmond Memorial's girls basketball team has been in this spot plenty of times.
Southmoore is a relative newcomer to these kinds of pressure situations.
Class 6A No. 16 Memorial showed its experience — even with a youthful team — Saturday, beating No. 4 Southmoore for the second time in just more than a week, 46-41.
“We've had a ton of close games and gone into overtime a couple times this season and that helped us in this one,” Edmond Memorial's Jenny Roy said. “Even though we're young, we're getting better and better every game.”
The Bulldogs move on to play Norman North on Thursday for a berth in the state tournament.
Norman North beat Norman 43-33 on Saturday.
Norman North has beaten Edmond Memorial three teams already this season.
Edmond Memorial has made the state tournament in each of the last three seasons.
Against Southmoore, the Bulldogs didn't panic despite falling behind by as many as nine in the second quarter.
They chipped away at the lead before scoring 10 consecutive points beginning late in the third quarter to take their first lead of the game.
Memorial then hung on despite several late turnovers.
“Their passion, their hard work and studying — I'm proud of everything about this team,” Memorial coach Dandy Peeler said.
Kaleigh Troxell was particularly impressive, scoring 15 to lead the Bulldogs and moving over to guard Southmoore guard Kayla Tucker after Peeler had to move Roy into the post on defense.
Tucker was held to eight points and just one field goal.
PRICE PICKS UP WIN NO. 300
Carl Albert's 56-50 win over Del City in the regional finals was big in plenty of ways for the Titans.
First, Carl Albert moved to within one win of its ninth consecutive state tournament.
In the process, though, Carl Albert beat its district rival and gave Titans coach Tim Price his 300th win as a head coach.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21911Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17670Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12642Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 10331Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9974Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9639Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 7768OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures