High school basketball: Lakota Beatty takes after her father
Anadarko senior has a similar game to her dad, who played at Mount St. Mary and Oklahoma City University.
NewsOK Related Articles
And she hears the on-court comparisons.
“People just tell me he's a good shooter and I can shoot like him,” Beatty said.
Lakota's likeness to her father on the court goes beyond just shooting. De la Garza was shocked in the similarities when he first saw Lakota play her sophomore season.
“She naturally has the same stance, when she puts the ball down she can go by you, she can step people off, her shot motion is just like her dad in every way including the fact that he goes,” de la Garza said. “He was a great shooter, and so is she.”
George Beatty says he hasn't done much to help Lakota come along, but that's likely far from the case.
“My dad, he's really basketball smart,” Lakota Beatty said. “He just tells me what to do, and usually what he says is the outcome of what happens.”
This season, she has improved tremendously on the defensive end of the floor, and in the process has become a better player.
“She has became a very good defensive player, better at getting assists, getting steals,” Anadarko coach Jeff Zinn said. “She's an all-around player right now.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort