High school basketball: Lakota Beatty takes after her father
Anadarko senior has a similar game to her dad, who played at Mount St. Mary and Oklahoma City University.
NewsOK Related Articles
And she hears the on-court comparisons.
“People just tell me he's a good shooter and I can shoot like him,” Beatty said.
Lakota's likeness to her father on the court goes beyond just shooting. De la Garza was shocked in the similarities when he first saw Lakota play her sophomore season.
“She naturally has the same stance, when she puts the ball down she can go by you, she can step people off, her shot motion is just like her dad in every way including the fact that he goes,” de la Garza said. “He was a great shooter, and so is she.”
George Beatty says he hasn't done much to help Lakota come along, but that's likely far from the case.
“My dad, he's really basketball smart,” Lakota Beatty said. “He just tells me what to do, and usually what he says is the outcome of what happens.”
This season, she has improved tremendously on the defensive end of the floor, and in the process has become a better player.
“She has became a very good defensive player, better at getting assists, getting steals,” Anadarko coach Jeff Zinn said. “She's an all-around player right now.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11641Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11150Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7793Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7658Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4653Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4189OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3570Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit