High school basketball: Midwest City girls rally to beat Norman North
This season, Midwest City hasn't been the power it's been in recent years.
But the Bombers looked much better than their No. 14 girls basketball ranking Tuesday night against No. 7 Norman North.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Midwest City's halftime adjustments worked well all around as the Bombers came back for a 44-40 win on the road.
“I love playing games like that,” Midwest City coach Art Bode said.
The key to the adjustment was the way the Bombers went after Norman North post Julian Mougell.
“We made a little adjustment in their zone,” Bode said. “We were trying to attack her straight on early and then started attacking her from the post in and really had success with it.”
Norman North led by nine early in the second half, but over the next three minutes, Midwest City cut the lead to two.
The Bombers took the lead early in the fourth quarter and hit their free throws down the stretch to stay in front.
“I'm so proud of these girls because they compete night in and night out,” Bode said. “I hear all about how much we lost, but these girls played against those girls every day, and it's shown. Down the stretch tonight, they made extremely good decisions and did what they had to do to win.”
Jasauen Beard led Midwest City with 17 points, while Quemari Boyd added 16.
Mougell had 16 to lead Norman North.
FRESHMEN LEAD WESTMOORE
Westmoore's freshman trio helped the Jaguars to a 61-58 win over Class 5A No. 8 Del City.
Ashley Gomez, Sydney Chastain and Kaci Richardson each scored 12 points as the Jaguars used a huge fourth quarter to pull off the win.
Del City led 49-37 after three before Westmoore made its move.
Gomez and Chastain combined for 13 in the fourth, and Megan Roberts hit a pair of key free throws with five seconds left to lift Westmoore.
Dionna Collins led Del City with 18.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 20835Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17666Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12055Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 10703Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 9067Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8577Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense
- 8462Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments