High school basketball: Mustang playing to win now
The Mustang boys basketball roster clearly suggests that the Broncos are a team to watch in the future, but they're focused on earning a trip to the state tournament this season.
MUSTANG — The Mustang boys basketball roster clearly suggests that the Broncos are a team to watch in the future.
But coach Terry Long stressed to his players after practice Wednesday that he isn't interested in waiting that long.
Neither is Garrett Goble. The Broncos' senior point guard knows his last chance at making the state tournament begins Friday night.
Despite the fact that Long will regularly have a lineup of all freshmen and sophomores on the court, the Broncos are playing to win now.
“We're ready,” said Goble, one of the few contributing seniors on a very young team. “We've been working for this all season. We still have work to do, and we're going to work every single minute we can, and when we get there Friday, we're gonna win that game and keep going.”
The game Goble refers to is Mustang's 6:30 p.m. contest against Bixby at Jenks in a first-round elimination game in the Class 6A playoffs. The winner likely gets Jenks Saturday night in the regional final.
The high school basketball world rocked a little when Long left Douglass after winning his third consecutive state title to take the Mustang job last May.
And the season hasn't always been easy, as the Broncos tried to blend some new, young players with an older core that was learning Long's coaching philosophy.
Then the injuries began to hit. Juniors Colton Hadlock and Joey Snodgrass, both starters, were lost for the season. Others missed a game or two at a time. And a stomach virus made its way around the locker room, too.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments