High school basketball roundup: St. Mary clinches state tournament berth
The Rockets' Aimee Rischard hits 3-pointer with 12 seconds left to help sink Heritage Hall.
YUKON — Aimee Rischard knew the shot was good the moment it left her hand.
The Mount St. Mary junior was right, and her 3-pointer with 12 seconds left lifted the Rockets to a 54-50 win over Heritage Hall and a berth in the Class 4A state tournament Monday.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“That's probably the most memorable shot I've ever had,” Rischard said. “I never had a doubt it was going in.”
St. Mary will play Byng at 8:30 p.m. Thursday in the first round of the state tournament at Southern Nazarene.
“We're right where we're supposed to be,” Rischard said.
The tournament berth is the Rockets' second in school history. St. Mary lost to Perkins-Tryon in last season's opening round.
Kaely Bond led St. Mary with 16 points. Rischard added 12 — all on 3-pointers — and Jordan Hagood scored 11.
It wasn't easy for St. Mary, which had gone 2-1 against the Chargers during the regular season.
The Rockets trailed by four before Bond drilled a 3-pointer with 20 seconds left to cut the deficit to 50-49.
After a quick foul to get closer to the bonus, Heritage Hall turned the ball over on an inbounds, giving St. Mary a chance to take the lead.
The play was designed to give Bond another look, but when the Chargers had her covered, Hagood found Rischard for the 3-pointer that put the Rockets back in front.
The Chargers turned the ball over once more to seal the win for St. Mary.
Erika Wakefield led Heritage Hall with 20 points, while Carter Cloud scored 20.
FOSTER LEADS TULSA MCLAIN TO STATE
Nick Foster wasn't on last year's Tulsa McLain state tournament team after being dismissed for disciplinary reasons.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in