High school basketball: Star Spencer salutes its heritage, Dunjee Tigers
The Bobcats' boys basketball team donned gold jerseys with “Dunjee” across the front, a salute to the school that was folded into Star Spencer in the fall of 1972.
SPENCER — Jaylen Mustin's uncle, aunt and grandfather all graduated from Dunjee High School.
And though the historically black school has been closed for 41 years, Mustin got the chance on Monday night to represent his family's legacy at the Oklahoma City school.
Videoview all videos
Feb 12The Bobcats' boys basketball team donned gold jerseys...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Mustin and the rest of the Star Spencer boys basketball team donned gold jerseys with “Dunjee” across the front, a salute to the school that was folded into Star Spencer in the fall of 1972.
“It's like we're bringing back history, because Dunjee went through a lot,” said Mustin, who scored eight points in the 85-68 win over ASTEC Charter with some of his family members from Dunjee in attendance. “To represent the people that went to Dunjee is an honor, and I'm just grateful to get to represent them.”
Dunjee held an impactful place in Oklahoma's history through desegregation and the civil rights movement. The school was named for Roscoe Dunjee, who from 1915-55 published The Black Dispatch, a weekly newspaper that included his personal editorials on racism and the pursuit of civil rights.
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall delivered the eulogy at Dunjee's funeral in 1965.
“Roscoe Dunjee gave us the inspiration to get the job done. He didn't wait for anybody else,” Marshall said at the service.
“Roscoe could have been the wealthiest man in the world, but he never wanted anything for himself. He wanted for his people.”
Another key figure in the state's civil rights movement, Clara Luper, taught at Dungee High School, and worked with Roscoe Dunjee on the NAACP's youth council, which organized several sit-ins in the late 1950s and early 1960s.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 80469Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 30097Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 29530Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 25550Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7945Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 7267Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 7260Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday