High school basketball: Star Spencer salutes its heritage, Dunjee Tigers
The Bobcats' boys basketball team donned gold jerseys with “Dunjee” across the front, a salute to the school that was folded into Star Spencer in the fall of 1972.
Videoview all videos
Feb 12The Bobcats' boys basketball team donned gold jerseys...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Following Monday's game, the team posed for a photo with all of the Dunjee alumni who were able to attend the game. It was a special night all the way around, as Star Spencer honored a part of its heritage.
“It means a lot to show that we support everything that school had to go through when it was closed, and give back to the community,” said Star Spencer senior Keyon Prince, who scored 22 points Monday. “We got to meet the people who went there. They tell us stories from the school, so it's pretty neat.”
This was the fourth straight year that Star Spencer has honored the Dunjee Tigers, and coach Patrick Cudjoe sees the importance it has to the community around Spencer.
Cudjoe said holding the event during Black History Month added to its impact.
“During desegregation, they started sending all those students to Star Spencer, and those kids were forgotten about,” Cudjoe said. “They're adults now, grandparents and great-grandparents, and they deserve to be honored. It's fun for us to put on these gold uniforms and bring everybody out.
“Each year this gets bigger and bigger. They come and they show their Dunjee pride. It's a lot of fun for everybody.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11436Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11312Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5665Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 5178Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4351Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4349OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4135How to help tornado victims