High school football: Big second half carries Kingfisher to victory over Heritage Hall
KINGFISHER — The Kingfisher Yellow Jackets were being too cautious for coach Jeff Myers' liking in the first half against Heritage Hall on Friday night. They got it going after halftime, though, and posted yet another blowout win.
Photoview all 38 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Kingfisher took the second-half kickoff and drove 55 yards in nine plays, with Newton hitting Blair on a 14-yard scoring pass. Landon Nault quickly intercepted quarterback Michael McMullen, then threw a 24-yard halfback pass that Blair juggled, but held on to, in the end zone, making it 21-0 less than five minutes into the third quarter.
Blair was injured while playing defense on Heritage Hall's next series and was on crutches after the game, but Myers said the injury likely was a hip pointer and Blair should be OK.
A pair of short touchdown runs by Newton put Kingfisher ahead 35-0 with 10:24 left. Newton carried 15 times for 47 yards and completed 7-of-13 passes for 87 yards, while Nault had 18 carries for 54 yards.
McMullen hit Dominique James on a 25-yard touchdown pass with 2:39 left to allow Heritage Hall to avoid the shutout. McMullen finished 12-of-22 passing for 98 yards.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 81417Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 31213Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 29647Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 24478Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8211Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 7508Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 7403Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday