High school football: Big second half sparks OCS to District 2A-2 win over Christian Heritage
Tied 14-14 at halftime, OCS coach Derek Turner gets a lucky kiss from wife. Saints players do the rest, blanking Crusaders 21-0 in the second half.
EDMOND — Oklahoma Christian School football coach Derek Turner needed a kiss Thursday night.
With the scored tied at 14-14 at halftime at Saints Stadium, Turner remembered he hadn't received his customary good luck kiss from his wife, Adrienne.
Photoview all 24 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“I found her at halftime, though,” he said.
And that did it.
The fourth-ranked Saints scored 21 points in the second half en route to a 35-14 defeat of Christian Heritage Academy. OCS (7-1 overall, 4-0 district) remained atop the District 2A-2 standings.
“That wasn't the first half we wanted, but that was the second half we wanted,” Turner said.
Quarterback Colton Lindsey kept Christian Heritage (3-3, 3-2) in the game during the first half. For the game, he finished with 179 total yards and two touchdowns.
OCS receiver Blake Barnes caught six passes for 88 yards and three touchdowns.
Barnes was the do-everything player for the Saints. He returned kickoffs and ran back punts and played cornerback.
Before the game, Barnes received a prayer note from Don Sikes, father of sophomore quarterback Connor Sikes. He reflected on what reading that note contributed to his attitude on the field.
“It was really uplifting,” he said. “I'm big in my faith, so it's big for me.”
Barnes also credited OCS quarterback Austin Brooks for finding him in space. Brooks completed 13 of 16 passes for 173 yards and four touchdowns.
“It's a fun rivalry,” Brooks said. “I love playing CHA. It's great sportsmanship on both sides.”
Turner applauded his team's effort, but he assured his players that there's still work to do.
“We're going to be back tomorrow at 3 o'clock in the afternoon,” he said of practice.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11641Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11150Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7793Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7658Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4653Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4189OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3570Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit