High school football: Bryan Dutton, J.T. McFadden combine on big play that sparks Guthrie
The Bluejays whip Lawton MacArthur 31-13 in the first round of the Class 5A state playoffs
LAWTON — Looking at the defense, Guthrie quarterback Bryan Dutton wasn't sure the play was going to work.
Facing third-and-10 at midfield with an eight-point lead and more than six minutes to play, Guthrie desperately needed a first down to avoid giving the ball back to Lawton MacArthur.
Photoview all 29 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
As designed, Dutton took the snap and rolled out to his right, while J.T. McFadden slipped out of the backfield to the left.
Fully prepared to run for the first down if needed, Dutton looked back and saw an open McFadden. He gave a pump-fake and fired a fastball across the field to McFadden, who slipped past a couple of defenders, then outran everyone else for a 52-yard touchdown that essentially clinched Guthrie's 31-13 win at Lawton MacArthur on Friday night at Cameron Stadium.
“The defense was loaded more to the side we were going to,” Dutton said. “Initially I thought, I'd take off running if it wasn't open. But they slow-played it. I gave a little pump and (the defender) froze. I threw it as hard as I could to J.T., and he turned nothing into something.”
McFadden only touched the ball eight times but scored three touchdowns, including a 22-yard run in the third quarter. Dutton threw for 111 yards and two scores, while rushing for 119 yards and a touchdown to guide Guthrie to its 23rd win in the last 24 games.
“J.T. McFadden had a special game, and Dutton is Dutton. He's just a gamer,” Guthrie coach Rafe Watkins said. “I challenged our offensive line tonight, because we haven't run the ball well the last five weeks. We told the guys if you want to win big ballgames and win state championships, you've got to be able to run the ball and stop the run. That's what we did tonight.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims