High school football: Corey Lawrence has three touchdowns in Del City victory
The Eagles remain unbeaten in district after 38-26 victory over Ardmore at Kalsu Stadium
DEL CITY — When Del City puts the football in Corey Lawrence’s hands, good things normally happen for the Eagles.
The 6-foot-1, 180-pound senior running back/receiver scored three touchdowns — two rushing and one receiving — and the Del City defense added two touchdowns of its own as the Eagles downed Ardmore, 38-26, Friday night at Robert Kalsu Stadium.
Photoview all 29 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Lawrence scored on touchdown runs of 13 and 45 yards. He got behind the Ardmore secondary on the Eagles’ second possession of the game for an 80-yard scoring strike from quarterback John McBride, who hit his speedy wide receiver in stride.
He finished the night with 118 yards rushing on just 10 carries and caught three passes for 89 yards.
The most versatile player on the field (Lawrence also is the Eagles’ punter and punt returner) also was the most dominant.
“Corey is really good. He is really special. Maybe one of the most athletic kids I have been around,” said Del City coach Nick Warehime.
“Once we went and looked back at the first four games, we realized he hadn’t enough touches. Part of our goal tonight was get him touches.”
If anything, the Eagles probably should have given Lawrence the ball more Friday night.
“You got to love having a player like Corey,” McBride said. “He is always making big plays. He is a great guy to have on the team. Sometimes we use him as bait.”
Del City raced to a 32-0 lead in the game, and then watched as much of that lead evaporated in the fourth quarter.
To Ardmore’s credit, the Tigers (2-3) kept battling and scored three consecutive touchdowns — including a 78-yard kickoff return by Kevion McGee — before Del City’s Terry Love returned a fumble 44 yards to quash any hopes of a miracle comeback.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36331Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15449Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9864Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9824Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9353Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7992Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7895Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister