High school football: Deer Creek gets big win over Carl Albert
Friday, No. 4 Deer Creek kept its name in the discussion of the top teams in the class by dominating defensively, especially in the second half, and doing enough offensively to hold off the Titans and improve to 4-0 overall and 1-0 in District 5A-1.
Photoview all 38 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Rayburn had eight catches for 95 yards.
Dillon Noble hit a pair of field goals — a 35-yarder early and a 39-yarder in the fourth quarter.
Blumenthal then put the game away with a 39-yard touchdown pass to Alec James with just more than two minutes remaining.
“It's unbelievable to finally get through this and to finally be at this level,” running back Brennan Miyake said. “We know what it feels like to knock off one of these teams. It's the best feeling I've ever had but I want it to keep getting better. I want to get another one in December.”
While the Antlers said all around that there was plenty of more work to be done, they all acknowledged the significance of knocking off a team that has 10 state titles.
“It's a relief but at the same time we expected to come out here and play our best,” Deer Creek's Brandon Wackerly said. “We wanted our all to be good enough and it was tonight. This means big things for this program.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in