High school football: Del City routs No. 3-ranked Lawton MacArthur
Quarterback John McBride rush for two touchdowns, defensive back Bryson Parker returns interception for a TD
LAWTON — Del City football coach Nick Warehime stood on the Cameron Stadium turf last season and talked about turning things around.
Lawton High had just handily beaten the Eagles, who finished the season 1-9. Offseason workouts actually started the next morning, even though there were four weeks remaining in the 2011 season.
Photoview all 23 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
That paid off Thursday as Del City returned to Cameron Stadium and walloped No. 3-ranked Lawton MacArthur 41-18 to open Class 5A district play.
“What we're trying to do with this group right now is learn how to win, where they don't panic when things go against us,” Warehime said.
The Eagles (2-2) certainly failed to panic as they rattled off 20 points in the fourth quarter to stave off the Highlanders' third-quarter rally.
Del City quarterback Jon McBride was a big reason for that as he rushed for two touchdowns in the quarter. Safety Bryson Parker put the game out of reach by returning an interception for a TD with two minutes remaining.
MacArthur (2-2) started to mount an impressive comeback in the third quarter behind two touchdown passes from Ricky McCarty, including a 75-yarder to Gary McKnight Jr. on a reverse flea flicker that cut the deficit to 21-18.
But McCarty threw two of his four interceptions in the fourth quarter.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 98297Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16555OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13177Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8674Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8399Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8073How to help tornado victims
- 7770Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort