High school football: Despite slow start, Minco has chance to make playoffs
The Bulldogs started the season 2-4, but have won their last three and need to beat Pioneer on Friday to make the postseason.
Minco has been in playoff mode for weeks.
After starting the season 2-4 — including 0-3 in District A-3 — the Bulldogs have won three straight games, putting them in position to win this week against Pioneer and claim the No. 4 spot in the district.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“It's gotten more exciting, I think, being out there playing knowing that if you do lose, you're done,” junior receiver Jacob Overton said. “It kind of adds a thrill to the playing experience.”
Minco lost to defending champion Wayne, Cashion, Crescent and Watonga, three of Class A's top 10 teams.
Since then, games haven't been close, with Minco winning by an average of 47-16.
“We've already played who I feel like are the top at least three of the top five teams in the state,” Minco coach Clint Warren said. “I really feel like probably four of the top 10. I mean, it sure can't hurt in the playoffs to have that experience.”
Overton will also be a big boost this week and possibly in the playoffs. He has 1,016 yards and 10 touchdowns this season, and more than 2,500 yards in his career.
“He's pretty special,” Warren said. “You just have to throw it around him and he'll catch it.”
The Bulldogs last missed the playoffs in Warren's first season in 2009. Each season since, they at least made it to the second round.
And now a slow start can be redeemed this week.
“I think it opened our eyes to the teams that are out there,” Overton said. “We played with all of those teams; we were right there in the game. There were just a few plays that separated us from winning.
“It showed us that we can play with anybody in the state, we just needed to keep improving to get to where we can beat them.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12604Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10239Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9732Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6670Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4472Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4240Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates