High school football: Family comes first for CHA coach
John Merrell missed last week’s game against OCS to be with his daughter, who has been diagnosed with colon cancer.
DEL CITY — Christian Heritage football coach John Merrell looked up at the clock at 7:23 p.m. last Thursday.
It was seven minutes until kickoff of one of CHA’s biggest games in recent years, a crucial district matchup against rival Oklahoma Christian, and Merrell was exactly where he was supposed to be that night — not at the football field.
Merrell was in a hospital room with his daughter, Jenni Kufahl, who two days earlier had been diagnosed with Stage 3 colon cancer. He was sitting with her, praying for her. He read Bible verses...
View full article on Oklahoman.com
How do I get Full Access?
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 81703Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 31891Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 29684Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 24698Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8257Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 7616Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 7442Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday