High school football: Frankie Edwards leads Mustang past Lawton
Frankie Edwards completed a 10-play, 80-yard drive against a whipping wind with a 4-yard scoring dive at the 2:22 mark. On the final drive, Lawton got to midfield, but Dakota Warrington picked off a Dallas Sealey pass to finish off the Mustang victory.
MUSTANG — After leading Mustang to victory, Frankie Edwards got a backslap, young fans following him and a bear hug from teammate Jared Chance's father. Edwards' fourth-quarter touchdown run allowed Mustang to squeak past Lawton 37-34 on Friday night at Bronco Stadium.
Photoview all 48 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Edwards completed a 10-play, 80-yard drive against a whipping wind with a 4-yard scoring dive at the 2:22 mark. On the final drive, Lawton got to midfield, but Dakota Warrington picked off a Dallas Sealey pass to finish off the Mustang victory.
Both teams ended the night 6-3 on the year and 3-3 in District 6A-4, boosting Mustang's playoff drive.
“It was a do-or-die win,” Edwards said. “We had to keep our playoff hopes alive. That was a great performance by both sides of the ball. They kept going 212 percent.”
Edwards threw for 227 yards and three touchdowns on 14-of-28 passing while toting for 111 yards on 19 yards and two scores.
The lead changed hands four times in the second half. Lawton overcame a 10-point deficit to go up 34-30. Ivan Thomas — all 265 pounds of him — leapt over a pile at the goal line to score with 5:36 left in the game. To help keep Thomas at bay, Mustang shifted 280-pound Jared Chance to linebacker for this game. Thomas had 36 yards on 12 carries. Mike Warren led Lawton with 122 yards on 17 carries.
Tevin Foster's 33-yard scoring rumble cut Lawton's fourth-quarter deficit to 30-27.
“You better be able to play in this district,” Mustang coach Ty Prestidge said. “Outside of Norman and Edmond Santa Fe, we're scratching and clawing. Our defense on the last drive, they had to suck it up. They got the stop. We had a big play by our defense.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 33746Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15554Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10129Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9883Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9568Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8114Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8089Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister