High school football: Guthrie beat Deer Creek in overtime
Down by a touchdown with less than 1:30 remaining, the defending 5A state champions drove down the field to force overtime, then came out with a 42-35 win over Deer Creek on Thursday at Jelsma Stadium.
NewsOK Related Articles
“It's one for the ages,” Dutton said.
Dutton ran for three touchdowns and threw for 263 yards and two scores.
“That little rascal is just incredible,” Watkins said. “He had some rough moments but he's a very competitive player. Sometimes it's the best thing about him and sometimes it's the worst but the last drive was just incredible the way he was patient and let things come to him.”
On the other side, it was a tough pill to swallow, especially after the late penalties and a play on the final drive where Deer Creek thought it had recovered the football in what would've been a game-winner.
“We're the better football team,” Deer Creek coach Grant Gower said. “It just didn't work out. I'm going to leave it at that.”
Guthrie (8-0, 5-0 in 5A-2) will play another undefeated team next week in McGuinness, barring a stunning upset by Northwest on Friday.
“It's going to be tough,” Watkins said. “This was a physical, physical football game that took its toll. Deer Creek is everything they've been billed to be.”
Deer Creek (7-1, 4-1) will play Northwest next week before finishing the season against McGuinness.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims