High school football: Guthrie players step up to fill in for Kai Callins
Injury to star junior has thrust players like J.T. McFadden and Donovan Jordan into the spotlight.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Fans pick Casady's Wallace as Player of the Week
Casady sophomore quarterback T'Quan Wallace earned the fans' vote as the NewsOK Varsity High School Football Player of the Week in the Oklahoma City area with his 428-yard passing performance last week.
Wallace threw four touchdown passes and rallied Casady from a 34-14 halftime deficit for a 42-34 win over Dallas Cistercian.
Here are the final results of the fan poll:
T'Quan Wallace, Casady: 506 votes (42.9 pct.)
Warren Wand, Edmond Memorial: 419 votes (35.5 pct.)
Justice Hansen, Edmond Santa Fe: 109 votes (9.2 pct.)
A'erion Hines, Norman: 98 votes (8.3 pct.)
Peyton Gavras, Norman North: 49 votes (4.1 pct.)
Hinds wasn't sure what to think when Callins went down.
“Oh, what are we going to do,” Hinds remembers thinking.
“I was nervous,” Hinds said. “I knew what I was supposed to do, but you never know until you get the chance.”
Hinds has taken advantage by leading the Bluejays in tackles with 61 so far.
Guthrie has allowed seven or fewer points in five of its seven games. The Bluejays have been equally potent on offense, topping 40 points five times.
“Kai is the coldest running back I've ever seen,” McFadden said. “The biggest motivation for me has just been trying to live up to that as much as I can. I don't have the footwork he does, but our offense is getting better and better.”
Jordan took the injury as an opportunity.
“I just said, ‘Coach, I'm here and I'm ready for the challenge,' ” Jordan said. “I felt like I was a leader on this team before, but felt like I needed to be more of one when that happened.”
All say Deer Creek will be the team's toughest challenge yet.
“It's going to be a big-time defensive game,” Jordan said. “They run a lot of the same stuff we do. We're really looking forward to it.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister