High school football: Here come the Titans; Carl Albert upends Del City
Traditional power Carl Albert struggled during the regular season, but it opens the Class 5A playoffs by shocking No. 6-ranked Del City, 28-21
DEL CITY — After a 1-5 start, Carl Albert could've folded up shop and been done for the season.
The Titans could've focused on basketball or next season or anything but the rest of a football season that had started off disastrous by most standards but especially for Carl Albert and its lofty expectations.
Photoview all 29 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Five weeks later, though, the Titans are heading to the second round of the playoffs after knocking off No. 6-ranked Del City 28-21 in the Class 5A playoff opener on Friday night at Robert Kalsu Stadium.
“Especially coming off four losses like we had that we could've won,” Carl Albert coach Gary Rose said. “We were a very, very average to poor football team early in the season.
“They could've given up. But we as coaches are never going to give up and they took on that same attitude.”
Carl Albert (6-5) will host Claremore next Friday at Harris Field in the second round. Del City's season ends 9-2.
The Titans did it Friday by limiting mistakes, holding down Del City's big-play threats and grinding it out with a steady dose of quarterback Steven Thompson on the ground.
Thompson carried 38 times for 189 yards and scored all four of the Titans' touchdowns.
His final score came on Carl Albert's first drive of the second half, when he sprinted 70 yards for the touchdown to put the Titans up 28-7.
“When I hit that hole, I was just praying to God that I could make it to the end zone,” Thompson said. “I was running for my life.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13758Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9630Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9095Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8238Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6533Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6005Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5369Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister