High school football: Jenks' Trey'Vonne Barr'e makes up for size with toughness
Jenks running back Trey'Vonne Barr'e is just 5-foot-9, but he's worked to add weight. And, as he waits on his first college offer, he's in summer school working on his GPA.
JENKS — As his senior year of high school approaches, Jenks running back Trey'Vonne Barr'e stands 5 feet, 9 inches, just about the same height he was after a big growth spurt in seventh grade.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The Oklahoman's Super 30
The Oklahoman's Super 30 feature series on the state's top football recruits continues with No. 21, Jenks running back Trey'Vonne Barr'e. Here are the last three players we've written about in the series:
No. 24: Jordan Evans, Norman North
No. 23: Cameron Wrenn, Broken Arrow
No. 22: Kerwin Thomas, Wagoner
No. 21: Trey'Vonne Barr'e
Position: Running back
Offers: No Division I offers yet, but interest from a wide range of schools, including Oklahoma State, Arkansas, Nebraska, Arizona, Arizona State and Arkansas State.
He has added some weight since then, now over 170 pounds with hopes of being 180 before the season ends, but what he can't offer in size, he makes up for in toughness.
“I try to show college coaches my aggressiveness,” he said. “I've always played football, and I played rugby for a while too, and size has never been an issue.”
His size hasn't kept colleges away. Though Barr'e is still waiting on his first Division I offer, he has plenty of interest, with schools like Arkansas, Oklahoma State, Arizona and Nebraska contacting him.
Barr'e made his name at running back last season, filling in when Alex Ross, now a freshman at Oklahoma, was sidelined by injuries. A quick, elusive runner, Barr'e finished the year with 1,927 yards and 21 touchdowns on 213 attempts, averaging 9.0 yards per carry.
But Barr'e says he isn't restricting himself to only running back in the future.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36331Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15449Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9864Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9824Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9353Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7992Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7895Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister