High school football: Jhames West, receivers key Westmoore's upset of Norman North
West throws for 205 yards. He credits the Jaguars' wide receivers for coming up big in the second half.
MOORE — Westmoore quarterback Jhames West admits he doesn't praise his wide receivers near enough.
Thursday night, though, he was certainly delivering praise about them.
Photoview all 22 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
West had every reason to as he connected for three touchdown passes and also ran for one to lift Westmoore past No. 8 Norman North 29-16 at rainy Moore Stadium to complete Class 6A nondistrict play.
“After this game, they will get a lot more respect from me,” West said. “I trust them, I really do, and I'm glad they came through.”
West, a junior, threw for 205 yards, but more importantly guided his team during a strong second half following a scornful speech from coach Billy Langford at halftime.
The Jaguars (2-1) didn't open the game strong and fell behind 9-0. At halftime, down 9-7, Langford delivered his message.
And on the second possession in the third quarter, the offense responded. West delivered a pump fake and found receiver Lexus Lee streaking down the sideline wide open for a 64-yard, go-ahead strike. After the two-point conversion pass to Austin Dodd, Westmoore never looked back.
“I'm going to start lighting them up before we come out,” Langford said. “They responded. They've got a lot of character, they're pretty tough kids and they're competitive.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13258OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 7144Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7131Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6694Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6025Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 5256Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5146Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers