High school football: Lawton's Maurice Chandler has knack for interceptions
Maurice Chandler is one of the highest-touted recruits in the state, with offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Kansas State, Oregon State and Texas Tech.
The Oklahoman's Super 30
The Oklahoman's Super 30 feature series on the state's top football recruits continues with No. 7, Maurice Chandler of Lawton. Here are the last three players we've written about in the series:
No. 10: Kimmie Carson, Tulsa East Central
No. 9: Darius Graham, Lawton MacArthur
No. 8: Devin Rolan, McAlester
Up next: The No. 6 player on the Super 30 list is soon to be a Wolf in Hogs clothing. Check out the story on this metro-area defensive back in Tuesday's Oklahoman.
No. 7: Maurice Chandler
Recruited by: Offers include Arizona State, Arkansas State, Kansas State, Memphis, Oregon State and Texas Tech.
Chandler doesn't necessarily look fast when he's running by himself on the field. But if you put a stopwatch on him or another player out there with him, the difference becomes clear.
“You watch him run and it looks like he's just going at 3/4 speed,” Breeze said. “Then you look down and he's running a 4.4. He glides so well. He doesn't really look like he's running fast even though he is.”
That interception return was one of three 90-plus yard plays for Chandler last season. He also opened two Lawton games with kickoffs returned for touchdowns.
That interception was one of seven for Chandler last year.
“On a couple of them, the receiver was open. The quarterback saw a wide open receiver,” Breeze said. “But Maurice has that uncanny ability to have a late second burst. His quickness is really something special, especially for a kid his size.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 22176Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 12149Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10702Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8951Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8805Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8651Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8107Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister