High school football: No. 1 Wynnewood holds off No. 2 Wayne
The No. 1 Savages scored a defensive touchdown early in the fourth quarter and made it stick, beating No. 2 Wayne 35-34 on the road to solidify their place atop Class A.
Photoview all 48 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
A season ago, Wayne beat Wynnewood 47-42 at home and wound up going on to win the school's first football state championship.
Wynnewood is hoping for a similar fate.
The Savages sealed the game with less than two minutes remaining when Trey Knowles gained six on fourth and three from the Wayne 18 to end any chance for a Bulldogs comeback.
“We were going to give it to our biggest back and run behind our best lineman, there was no doubt about that,” O'Steen said.
The results of that play, Knowles said, showed the difference between this year's Savages and the team that fell to the Bulldogs last year.
“This team sticks together more,” Knowles said. “We knew we were going to have to overcome some adversity tonight and we did that. Every time it got tough, we fought through it.”
Knowles ran for 97 yards and a pair of touchdowns while Brown threw for two touchdowns, both more than 50 yards.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 24367Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 12839Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7010OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5994OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5476Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5061Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3886Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater