High school football: No. 3 McGuinness shuts out top-ranked Guthrie
Anyone questioning whether the Irish could compete with the best teams in Class 5A got their answer Friday night in a dominating 32-0 victory over top-ranked Guthrie at Pribil Stadium.
Photoview all 48 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“These guys (Guthrie) can put up the points,” linebacker Danny Krenger said. “Our front four, they played their butts off. It was a team effort.”
Krenger intercepted a pass at the goal line early that boosted the McGuinness momentum. He also had 25- and 83-yard touchdown receptions, spurring an impressive offensive showing by McGuinness that was only overshadowed by the defense.
Quarterback Jacob Lewis rushed 35 times for 166 yards and two second-half touchdowns, and he threw for 260 yards and a pair of scores as the Irish outgained Guthrie 479-86.
McGuinness (9-0, 6-0) can clinch the District 5A-2 championship with a win against visiting Deer Creek next week, though a loss would put them in a three-way tie with the Antlers and Guthrie to be broken by district points.
Jones simply hopes his team can maintain the focus it had in preparing for Friday night's win.
“We knew if we were gonna be where we want to be ultimately, we've got a six-week playoff starting here tonight,” the coach said. “The opponents will never get easier. Every game's gonna get bigger and every game's gonna get tougher.
“We've got to do a good job of prepping for a very good football team, and then see where we're at in the playoffs.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 17205Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9411Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9383Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6982Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6824Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6420Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6294Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit