High school football: Noble keeps playoff hopes alive with win over Durant
Led by senior running back Jimmy Wood, the Bears handled Durant 30-12 on Senior Night at Noble Stadium.
NOBLE — Noble needed to win Friday night to keep its 5A playoff hopes alive. That knowledge weighed heavily on the minds of its coaches and players.
Photoview all 48 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Led by senior running back Jimmy Wood, the Bears handled Durant 30-12 on Senior Night at Noble Stadium to improve to 5-4, 3-3 in District 5A-3. Noble's final game against Shawnee will decide who earns the fourth and final playoff spot in the district.
“I owe a lot of credit to this group of seniors,” Noble coach Steve Barrett said. “They've continued to keep their hopes up and keep working hard, and it's paid off.”
Durant (1-9, 1-6) scored twice in the first quarter, but the Bears held the Lions scoreless for the next three quarters.
Wood gathered over 100 total yards in the first half and rushed for 62 yards on 14 carries and a touchdown to give Noble a 14-12 advantage at halftime. The fleet-footed halfback finished the game with 146 yards on the ground and two touchdowns.
“I had a pretty good game, not one of my best, but it got the job done,” Wood said.
Noble quarterback Dakota Boxwell completed 9 of 17 passes for 186 yards, including a 40-yard dart to Wood. He credited Noble's blocking for his performance.
“It's all about the lineman,” Boxwell said.
Noble needs just one more win to reach the playoffs, but Boxwell wasn't thinking of what playing postseason football would mean to him. He was thinking of what it would mean to his community.
“It's been several years since Noble's been in the playoffs, and we just want to do it for the crowd, for everybody,” Boxwell said. “They put a lot of effort into this and we just want to do it mostly for them.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13758Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9630Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9095Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8238Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6533Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6005Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5369Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister