High school football: Norman North closes in on district title, whips PC North
Timberwolves score on four of first-six possessions. The defense limits PC North to 70 yards rushing.
Make that two big wins in as many weeks for Norman North, which in all likelihood will mean a Class 6A district championship for the Timberwolves.
Photoview all 16 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
A week after dispatching Edmond North, No. 6-ranked Norman North rolled to a surprisingly easy 34-7 win over Putnam City North on Friday night at Putnam City Stadium. If the Timberwolves take care of business as expected against Moore and Lawton Eisenhower in their final two games, they'll enter the postseason as the District 6A-3 champion.
“We're getting better each week, and that's what we've got to continue to do,” Norman North coach Wade Standley said. “We had a great week of practice, and we have a mature group of guys who understand what the goal is. This time of year, it's almost like a playoff game every week to begin with. You've got to be ready week in and week out in this kind of district and our guys were.”
Norman North (7-1 overall, 5-0 district) allowed the Panthers to rush for just 70 yards — sacking quarterback John Robert Simon six times — and gave up only one big play.
Norman North quarterback Peyton Gavras was coolly efficient, completing 24-of-36 passes for 258 yards and three touchdowns and spreading the football among seven different receivers, including Jake Higginbotham, who had five catches for 86 yards.
From the Wildcat formation, Jaxon Uhles — usually a linebacker for the Timberwolves — did his best Blake Bell impression, taking direct snaps and scoring on runs of 1 yard and 3 yards. Scatback Bryan Payne led Norman North in rushing with eight carries for 69 yards.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 81708Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16515OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12409Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 12217Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12064Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 10403Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 9163How to help tornado victims