High school football: Norman North's Jordan Evans getting attention at new position
SUPER 30 -- He'd been playing cornerback for years, but Jordan Evans' shift to linebacker has paid off.
Jordan Evans was surprised a year ago when Norman North's new coaching staff asked him to switch positions.
Evans had been a cornerback since coming up from little league.
The Oklahoman's Super 30
The Oklahoman's Super 30 feature series on the state's top football recruits continues with No. 24, Norman North linebacker Jordan Evans.
No. 24: Jordan Evans
School: Norman North
Recruited by: Offers include Navy, Ohio and New Mexico
But when Wade Standley took over the Timberwolves, he quickly deciding shifting Evans up to linebacker was the right move.
Now, a year later, Evans is generating more and more attention at the position and is No. 24 on The Oklahoman's Super 30 recruiting list.
“When Coach Standley moved me, he told me I'd be a great player there,” Evans said. “My mindset changed from that moment and I believed him.”
Evans might've believed him, but that doesn't mean the transition was smooth.
“It was tough at first,” Evans said. “It was quite a bit different. I didn't have to be as physical at corner as I do now but I love it.”
It wasn't until the first game of his junior season, a 28-21 loss to heavily favored rival Norman, that Evans felt like he was completely comfortable with the switch.
“Spring ball and camps were OK, but it's totally different than being there in a game,” Evans said. “At linebacker, I'm more involved. I have better opportunities to make plays and create my own plays instead of having to have everything come to me. At corner, you always have to be ready but most of the time you have to get a play to come your way.”
The switch paid off on the field, as Evans had 87 tackles and a pair of sacks as a junior. It has also translated into greater attention from college coaches.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister