High school football: Norman North's Peyton Gavras doing better
Norman North's Gavras doing better
Late in Norman North's 49-42 win over Owasso on Friday, Timberwolves quarterback Peyton Gavras took a hard hit that left him woozy following the game.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Saturday morning, Norman North coach Wade Standley said Gavras was doing much better.
“He was in this morning and I think he's going to be OK,” Standley said.
Norman North will play Jenks for the Class 6A title at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Boone Pickens Stadium in Stillwater.
Having Gavras, who missed time last season after a concussion, healthy and playing would be critical for Norman North's chances.
In Friday's game, Gavras threw for 395 yards and five touchdowns.
DAVIS DEFENSE COMES UP BIG
Second-ranked Davis stopped a two-point conversion with 25 seconds left Friday night to defeat Adair, 34-33, and set up a showdown in the Class 2A semifinals with top-ranked Vian.
Running back Deaundre' Carr rushed for 191 yards and two touchdowns on 17 carries for the Wolves.
“He kicked and punted extremely well for us too,” Davis coach Jody Weber said. “He is definitely a weapon. He is really good once he gets into the open field.”
Davis will meet Vian at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Midwest City in a battle of unbeatens in the Class 2A semifinals
“They look like a small-college football team,” Weber said of Vian. “They are definitely as advertised.”
Weber hopes Davis' wishbone offense can cause some fits for the Wolverines so the Wolves can keep the chains moving.
“Hopefully, we can shorten the game a little bit,” Weber said. “They put up so many points, if we can shorten the game a little bit and take care of the football and play a little better defense, we feel like we got just as good a chance to win the game as they do.”
Davis has won four state championships, the last coming in 1995. The Wolves have been state runner-up five times, the last time in 2010.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14121OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 13945Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 8893Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6932Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5880Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5330Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 5280Student shot dead during botched home invasion