High school football: Penalties, turnovers doom Douglass in 14-7 loss to Weatherford
Douglass' lack of discipline in the second half also contributed to an early exit from the playoffs. The Trojans, who were not penalized in the first half, committed 13 fouls for 135 yards over the last two quarters.
Photoview all 29 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Gaunt finished an efficient 12 of 23 for 139 yards, one touchdown and no interceptions.
The Trojans dominated the run game both offensively and defensively. Douglass' offense collected 219 yards rushing; its defense threw Weatherford rushers for minus-5 yards on 26 carries.
But it was Weatherford's stingy defense that created turnovers.
Senior linebacker Joe Leon picked off Douglass quarterback Patrick McKaufman in the fourth quarter and recovered two fumbles.
Although the overall numbers for Weatherford's run game were poor, the biggest run of the game belonged to the victor.
One play after Weatherford recovered its fifth fumble, Jason Nichols ran 17 yards for a touchdown.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 90293Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14176Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8859Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 7859Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7626Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 7605How to help tornado victims
- 6854OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents