High school football: Phillip Sumpter shines on offense as Edmond Santa Fe beats Mustang in OT
Edmond Santa Fe senior Phillip Sumpter scored three touchdowns — including the game-winning 1-yard run in overtime — and the Wolves beat Mustang 41-35, surviving a furious comeback from the Broncos.
Photoview all 29 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“I love doling out the punishment,” said Sumpter, who also scored on a 20-yard reception from Justice Hansen in the third quarter.
“It’s different, but I try to make the punishment instead of taking the punishment on both sides.”
But Mustang fought back to tie the game at 35 with just over five minutes remaining when gritty quarterback Frankie Edwards tossed a 23-yard touchdown to Colton Hadlock and then ran in the 2-point conversion.
In overtime, though, Edwards was picked off on second down by the Wolves’ Eric Davis.
After Santa Fe advanced to Mustang’s 1-yard line, Manning went back to Sumpter, who bulldozed his way into the end zone to give the Wolves an important District 6A-4 win.
“He did everything tonight,” Hansen said.
“Defensively, offensively. Even when yards aren’t there, he’s someone who can grind it out, put his head down and get a few yards.
“That’s what he did. That’s how he got in the end zone there at the end.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 60552Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32931Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 31925Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 12639Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 8214Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5947Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 3659Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman