High school football: Seminole is favored to win District 3A-2
District rotation has 3A-2 stacked with seven teams that qualified for the playoffs last fall.
SEMINOLE FAVORED IN DISTRICT 3A-2
After going 12-1, ending its season with a loss to Heritage Hall in the third round, Seminole is once again the favorite in its district.
District 3A-2 coaches' poll
1. Seminole (12-1)
2. Bethany (9-3)
3. Perkins-Tryon (8-3)
4. Bristow (6-5)
5. Cushing (7-4)
6. Chandler (4-7)
7. Prague (7-4)
Note: Last year's records in parentheses
The Chieftains, though, must replace a strong group of departed seniors, especially on offense where Garrett Clark had been the starter at quarterback for the previous four years.
The leader of Seminole's offense this year figures to be senior running back Trenton Newson.
Newson ran for 1,476 yards and 17 touchdowns as a junior last season.
Seminole's defense has six returning starters form a unit that allowed eight or less points six times last season.
In the first year of a new district rotation, 3A-2 might be the toughest on paper.
All seven teams in the district made the playoffs last season with two — Seminole and Perkins — winning their district.
Bethany, Bristow, Chandler and Prague each made the playoffs in Class 3A. Cushing, which finished fourth in its district last year, drops from 4A to 3A.
Teams from the district combined to go 53-27 a year ago.
BETHANY TURNING TO PAGE
Bethany senior John Page has been starting on both sides of the ball since he was a freshman, and though he's one of the smallest guys on the field, he'll play a huge role for a Broncho team that lacks experience.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12757Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10379Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9755Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9478Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6719Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4489Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4265Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates